Alyssa - State College, Pennsylvania

I believe there is nothing more rewarding or therapeutic than investing your time in other people in need. When you are feeling at your lowest and all you want to do is be alone, the best thing you can do is give of yourself to someone else. The fastest way to relieve your anxiety is to listen to someone else’s and from there, try to help them the best you can, even if it just means listening to them.

Being an introverted and shy person, I have always doubted my natural ability to help people. The great thing about helping people is everyone is capable of it but doesn’t realize it or forgets about it at times. Lending an ear to someone can make a huge difference in your life and the person you are helping. I came to realize this recently by overcoming my pre-graduation fears when my best friend, Sarah, called me with sad news. She wouldn’t be coming home Easter weekend because she was fighting with her parents. My first reaction was to invite her to be with my family for the weekend, which I did, but then I asked her what happened and this opened the door for her to get out all the negative feelings she was holding inside.

After listening to Sarah I realized I was able to forget about myself for an hour because I gave my shoulder for her to cry on. I provided love and a place for her to spend the holiday so she wouldn’t have to be by herself and that made me feel helpful. Suddenly I started to remember the more important things in life.

Now, my depression over not having a prestigious job to enter after graduation seemed selfish since I have a loving family welcoming me at home with open arms. Talking to Sarah made me realize that I have something not all people do and that is an irreplaceable support system behind me. I remembered my mom and dad saying it was okay not to know what I wanted to do yet with my life. As long as I keep my head up, stay busy, and give of myself to others in the mean time, everything will turn out okay. From that point forward, I knew my priority in life would be putting others before myself no matter where I’m at or what I’m doing because it gives me the greatest feeling.