Nathan - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports

I believe in the importance of children’s involvement in team sports as they are growing up. As a youth, I participated in numerous team sports including soccer, baseball, and basketball. These all instilled in me teamwork, communication skills, and the drive to succeed in whatever I am doing.

To be successful in soccer, teamwork was essential. By working together in passing the ball and playing our positions, we were able to combine the individual strengths of each player to accomplish more than we could by working alone. This concept has been important in my life because teamwork was required during my internship, where almost all the tasks that I was assigned to complete required working with other business people. Similar to soccer, we used the individual strengths of each member in the business to achieve a common goal that we could not achieve alone.

Working together was also necessary in basketball, but in that sport even more important was effective communication. Making teammates aware of one’s position on the court through communication helped the team to function smoother. In addition, you can’t always assume other people know where you are or what you are planning on doing while on the court, you need to be able to understand directions from the coach, and you need positive reinforcement when you do things well. These communication skills helped me later in life in interacting with friends, work, and other acquaintances. The ability to communicate effectively has allowed me to develop closer relationships than I would have been able to do otherwise.

The final quality team sports instilled in me was the drive to succeed. All three sports I played, especially basketball, taught me to work hard and to become the best I can be. The desire to perform well was the driving force behind all of the hard work and effort I put into these sports. This hard work and effort has carried over into other areas of my life. For example, I could have stopped my education with a bachelor’s degree in supply chain, but instead I had the drive to learn more and enter into a master’s degree program.

Teamwork, communication skills, and the drive to succeed are characteristics that I learned through team sports when I was young and are qualities that I think are essential to be successful in life. When I encounter situations requiring these skills, I am thankful for my earlier experiences that enabled me to begin acquiring them while I was young. For these reasons I believe team sports are vital to the development of a child.