Jeff - Croydon, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports

Stay for the whole game. What does this mean? It truly means that if you hang around in life and grind out those tough situations, you will have no regrets. Even if you do have regrets, at least you were there to experience the entire situation. It means not taking the easy way out. It is a principle I have lived by ever since I was eight years old.

Our friend Paul had his father take our group of friends to a major league baseball game. Our team was losing by six runs late in the game. Now Paul was the biggest fan out of all of us and was absolutely miserable over this score. He whined and complained for his dad to take us home immediately. His father gave in, and I will remember that car ride home for the rest of my life. Listening on the radio, we heard “what an amazing comeback”. Our team had scored seven runs in the final inning and won the game. Paul was in tears. He vowed from that day on that he would never leave another game before it was over.

Looking back now, as I have grown up and matured, I can truly say that was a life changing experience that gave me a better outlook. . It is amazing what you can experience by being there until the end. In any task I take on I always go out of the way to put in the full effort to complete it. I feel it is also a statement of determination and not quitting. Anytime a difficult situation arises and I want to quit, such as when I am watching my team lose and I just want to break the television, I think back to that horrible car ride home. It goes along with what you deal with growing up. You always got into less trouble taking the hard way out and being truthful rather than lying. In conclusion “stay for the whole game” to me means do not take the easy way out. To this day none of us have ever left another game early.