Daniel - Ringle, Wisconsin

How many times have you walked down the street and saw somebody trying to impersonate Elvis, Madonna, or any other famous person? Why do you think they do that? Is it because they think their lives are worth nothing and can only get by trying to be someone they’re not? Or is it that nothing’s going right at that moment in their life and they just want to feel like they’re worth something? If only all these questions could be answered.

I believe that everyone shouldn’t try to impress other people by doing things that just aren’t themselves. These days, too many people are trying to fill other peoples’ shoes and leaving theirs at the door. They get so caught up in other siblings’ lives, that when it fails and when they try to get back to their lives, it’s difficult to get going again.

I believe in this because of all the people I see in the world dressing and acting like someone they’re not. There is a fine line between people who act on television, dress up for Halloween, and people who just do it to get attention. Are they afraid to let others see what’s behind the make-up? Are they afraid of how people react?

I have seen an occasion when one of my friends “Charlie”, and his brother “Tony” did everything pretty much perfect, and left Tony for college. Charlie tried to do just as well as what Tony was good at, but just couldn’t do it. It’s hard when so many people are looking at you, thinking that you are just like your brother or sister. But the worst part is when you let everyone down and you feel horrible. You then try to get back with your old friends and your old hobbies, but you can’t because you tried to be somebody else and pushed them aside.

I believe that you should be yourself and be cool about it. Give yourself a pat on the back or say cheerful things to make yourself feel better. Be proud of your accomplishments and never quit trying. Never give up or lose hope. No matter what, if you just be yourself, your friends and family will like you for who you are, instead of who you are trying to be.

My dad always says that no matter how old or young I may be, everyone will always leave a spot in their heart for who I really am and all of my accomplishments. If I stick with what I am really good at and never stop pushing until I know that I have succeeded in who I am, I then can start wearing my own shoes and not someone else’s.

I believe that one should always be themselves, and “Travel their own path through life” as Robert Frost said in his poem “ The Road Not Taken” that ends with the line, “Two roads diverged in the woods, and I took the less traveled, and that made all the difference.”