Kate - State College, Pennsylvania

I Believe Friends are the Family you Choose for Yourself

People love to say that you can always count on your family. But what if that isn’t true. Maybe when there are serious problems, your family might be the most relevant source to turn to. However, on the day to day troubles that life throws at you, what if you really can’t count on your family. Maybe they just do not understand you in the way you’re friends do, or they are not around for whatever reasons. Often, when it comes down to it, the people you can really count on the most do not fall anywhere on your family tree. They people in your daily life who usually help you get from one bad day to the next are the friends you make along the way. That is why I believe that friends are the family you choose for yourself.

I was raised by two loving parents and while they were not perfect by any means, they both loved me the best that they could. I also have other family that has always been there for me when anything went terribly wrong in my life. That is probably why I thought it would be so difficult to leave home and start a new life in college. I knew that the people that I needed the most would be hours away at all times. However, as I am looking at graduation in a few weeks, I can look back and see that the people I needed most were always around me. When I got sock, it was the roommate that made me soup and tea. On the days where I felt like the world was crashing down around me, it was the friend who skipped out on the important things she had to do to take me for coffee and talk things out. Some days it was the entire group of people who sat around and told stories making me laugh till it hurt. These people are every bit a part of my family, even if we do come from different backgrounds.

I know that I will always have my family to fall back on if things should go wrong in my life, but I can also confidently say that there are a handful of other people in my life that would be willing to help as well. There is something to be said for the people who do not just come through for you when life’s biggest troubles are apparent. My friends are the people that handle the minor problems that life throws at me every single day. It is because of all the members of my “family” that I go through each day knowing when I fall, there will always be someone around to help me stand back up.