Thomas - APEX, North Carolina
Themes: community

I believe in conversation over essays. Words shared are thus made more meaningful. An actual face-to-face conversation can make any subject that much more intimate. I could speak with someone about a trivial topic, but make it seem like the lines of some great play. It is the interaction with another person, the word play and body language, which heighten the experience. Conversation is a skill all its own, and often sought after. Some would give a great deal and more to have had the opportunity to speak with the likes of a Da Vinci or an Einstein. A conversation is a way of sharing our minds and, in a way, sharing part of ourselves.

Recently an old friend of mine showed up in town. I had not seen him in two years. He was looking forward to our getting together and catching up over lunch sometime. I must admit, I was not as excited about the idea as he was. We had been friends once, yes, but a lot can change in two years. We got together on a Saturday afternoon. He looked the way I expected. I cannot say how I looked to him. At first, we spoke about little; but then, as the conversation progressed, things became increasingly interesting. We discussed the nature of life, love, and music. It was grand. I can hardly describe my elation. In truth, I do not particularly wish to share his company again, because it is not the company that I will remember, it is the conversation.

It is difficult to express the way I feel about it all. If you and I could ever strike up a dialogue, I would gladly try my best to get my point across. I feel I would always fall short on paper. Too often those in politics and religion bicker, but if they could actually discuss something, maybe things would settle down and even out for once. Conversation is a human trait. I can go so far as to say it is a necessity.