Daniel - State College, Pennsylvania

Through my experiences, I’ve come to realize that jealousy is the cause for destruction of any type of relationship one has in life. This emotion, once triggered can instantly change a friendship. It is a self-destructive emotion, which can cause hatred for someone that cares about you. In fact, this has caused people to turn against me or has caused me to question my own relationships many times. Since no one can deny ever feeling this emotion, I want to share how I believe that others have let jealousy affect them and their relationships.

Throughout my life, I’ve had many friendships that have been broken by this emotion. This made me realize who my true friends are. When things go well for you in your life, people who truly care about you will not compare their life to yours, instead they will be truly happy for that person. Others will let jealously drive between friendships and cause a gap in a relationship that will continue to grow until the friendship is completely torn beyond repair. To say that others are jealous of me sounds conceited, but in reality there is always some one that is. I have had my own experience where jealous friends have tried to cheat me or spread rumors about me, only to find in the end it was because they were jealous of something I had going on in my own life.

This would not be a complete story if I didn’t share my own feelings of jealousy, something that no one can deny they have felt one time or another. Since I feel so strongly about the negative effects of this emotion, I try to recognize it as soon as it comes up and figure out ways in which to change my thoughts. In the past, this emotion caused me to label others without getting to know them. In some instances, I’ve become friends with these people later on in life and realized how this emotion stood in the way of developing a very strong and meaningful relationship with someone. Other times, I’ve realized this emotion just caused me to be insecure about whom I am and caused me to feel angry at someone for something that was trivial and perhaps something that was out of their control.

On a broader aspect, if I look at the world, especially issues such as hate crimes and terrorism, I think of why this is happening. I firmly belief all acts of hatred are based on jealousy. If not recognized it’s an emotion that spins out of control. It’s something that is hard to control or to have an easy solution for. I believe that it something that each person must deal with themselves because there is no way I am able to just turn it off in someone.