Zachary - Apex, North Carolina
Themes: sports

The Sensation of Running

I believe in the power and the natural feeling of running. It could be a simple jog around the block or a torturous marathon. Running allows the body to undergo a change that can help release different types of stress and even alter your entire body’s perception of life.

I’ve run cross-country for my high school for the three years I’ve been there. For two years I viewed running as a chore and a responsibility rather than a past time. Every day at practice was a struggle to survive the workouts, fight the pain. Cross-country became a hassle and didn’t understand why I wasted my afternoons tormenting my body.

It wasn’t until last fall that I truly appreciated the opportunity I had. During a sixty minute run my junior year, I “went off,” in harrier terms. The trails were smooth, the weather was perfect, and for one reason or another my legs started moving faster than I could even comprehend. I stopped fighting the pain, but instead embraced it. I then began to run with my heart and soul. It was then when I first felt the true natural high of running; it was as if I could have run forever.

After I experienced the running phenomenon, cross-country took on an entirely different light. I was able to use practice as a source of therapy for my body, using all of the benefits it provided. Running should not be a battle for your body but rather an experience of natural meditation.