Jaime - 7885, New Jersey

1.- How do you expect your college education change the rest of your life

My parents never went to college. They worked hard to support our family. They had few opportunities in life. My parents believed that with a good education my life would be better than theirs. Now I know how important is for me to have a college education, and I expect it to change the rest of my life. My college education will provide me the knowledge, skills, and the opportunities that my parents never had.

First, with a college education, I can increase my knowledge which will allow me to more clearly express my thoughts. For example, I learned in my accounting class about taxation, and now know how to better save money on a daily basis. Now my family comes to me for my advice whenever the matter concerns taxation or investments. In addition, I volunteer my time to prepare and file taxes for my community. Many of my friends call me for advice prior to filing their own taxes because of my knowledge in this area.

Second, with a college education, I have more skills now than I had before. For example, I have developed and greatly improved my writing skills. I recently had a part time job in a marketing research company. The marketing research company worked with international markets and most of my responsibility was communication by email, fax and send reports to my boss and costumers. Without the writing skills I acquired through my college education, I would have never been able to be successful in this position. One of my additional tasks was to translate reports from Spanish to English which was of great importance to the success of the company.

Finally, I expect better job opportunities with a college education. For example, people with a college degree tend to earn more income in when compared to people with only a high school diploma. In addition, more companies require professionals with a higher education to support our modern-day economy and the best job prospects will go to those who have advanced degrees. Hopefully my college education will allow me to take advantage of the best job prospects and the financial security those jobs provide.

When the day I graduate from college arrives I expect my life is going to be different than my parents lives because of the knowledge, skills and job opportunities my college education will provide.