Nathan - 15236, Pennsylvania

I believe in the importance and strength of family. Ever since I can remember, my mother and father have cemented into my head the importance of family. Not so much my dad’s side because they were the, you know, the ‘weird side’, but my mom’s side. My mom’s side was the typical perfect family. I mean perfect. When there was a family function everyone was there. We did everything together. Christmas, Easter, Memorial Day, any and every reason to get the family together we used it. My grandma was the perfect cook, and grandpa made sure everyone’s glass was full of their choice; alcoholic beverage or pop. One could not paint a better picture. Well maybe you could, but only on Christmas.

Christmas was another beast, my grandma would serve dinner for approximately 30 to 40 relatives and friends on a table that would go in one room and wrap around to the next. It seemed like a law that the feast could not start until grandpa said the opening prayer and three or four of the moms cried. Food would only be passed in a clockwise order and would surface from one room to the next, and if you wanted anything, yelling was your only option. That table later got the name “damn table.” I can vividly remember being bad one Christmas, at the age of 8, and grandma sitting on me until I behaved. That was my grandma’s solution instead of the spoon. Nathan’s fighting, sit on him, he talked back, sit on him, he’s upset, sit on him to make him laugh. Grandma had the solution to make anything better.

Christmas with the Fohr family have come and gone, and Christmas has now been passed on to my house. My mom seems to have a fit with it every year, to the point where she ends up crying every year. Mom doesn’t cry because things go wrong, she cries because that’s how women deal with stress. I think back, and boy, grandma made it look so easy. Things have changed. The little David we once knew isn’t so little any more, and he has two beautiful kids, grandma’s hand shakes sometimes, grandpa can’t hear or see, and I’m graduating college. I must say, I or anyone in my family for that matter, could not have made anything of themselves without each other.

I have had the most supportive family a man could ever ask for. They have disciplined me when I needed it, celebrated me when I earned it, and have poked fun at me when I deserved it. Yes, times have come and gone and things have changed in the Fohr family, but the one thing that has always been a constant in my life has been my family. Strength in family, ‘This I Believe’.