Janelle - State college, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

Anything is Possible

I believe that hard work leads to success. Growing up in a middle class family, my parents always stressed hard work. My parents showed me through their words, actions, and successes that working hard is a vital intangible to possess. When I was younger, the focus on hard work was not very important to me. As I grew older, I gradually learned the significance of hard work and its effect on one’s being.

It was June when I received my first fitness packet for the Penn State women’s soccer team. Inside it read many drills: three one hundred yard shuttles, one-twenty yard sprint, and various shuttle runs. “What are these,” I said to myself. Soon, thoughts of doubt and discouragement filled my mind. I had never done fitness on my own before, but I knew if I wanted to play for one of the best women’s soccer programs in the country I should start soon.

From previous experiences with playing on average teams with average players, I knew going into preseason training I had to be in the best shape of my life in order to play with the top female soccer players in the country. That morning I woke up with the attitude that I was going to train everyday until the day I had to leave to go to Penn State. I wanted to give my self every chance to play soccer on this team and possibly compete for a national championship.

As I was sitting at the field, lacing up my cleats, I had a new sense of confidence and determination. I thought to myself, “I am in the best situation of any of my teammates.” Since I was a non-scholarship athlete, I knew the coaches expected less from me; however, I knew my work ethic was greater than anyone’s. One hour later I finished my workout and started what would be the hardest but most satisfying four years of my life.

Now, I am a senior at Penn State. As an athlete, I have been a part of four Big Ten Championships, Two Final Four appearances, and a team that has been ranked as high as number one in the country. Throughout my career, I have played and started in various games. My soccer career has been rewarding, but my academic experience has been more gratifying because of my effort towards my studies. I was able to maintain a respectable grade point average and scored well on my GRE exams. This has led to my admission into the University of Pittsburgh Physical Therapy Doctorate program.

As my life has evolved, my parents’ philosophy that hard work leads to success has been acutely accurate. Through my life I have achieved goals that I thought were unachievable. Because of this, I feel that I can do anything. I plan to continue to use this idea of hard work in my near and distant future.