Joseph - State College, Pennsylvania

I was never very political or up-to-date with the news and current events. The events surrounding 9/11 have intrigued many of us, including myself, to get a better understanding of politics and the news surrounding political aspects. For me, personally, I have tried to gain better insight into the war on terrorism, operation Iraqi Freedom and the political issues pertaining to them. Since invading Iraq, I find myself asking why are we there and whether we should remain. I feel as an American I need to be more up-to-date with current political events such as these.

The unforgettable day of September 11 has drastically changed my interest in politics and news. As a democrat and an individual who would have rather not witnessed the invasion of Iraq, I have accepted the fact that we will not be leaving Iraq without victory. War is undeniably awful and as a citizen of the United States, I too wish to bring our soldiers home, but I do not believe this will happen soon. I realize this through keeping up with the news and current events.

Everyday I wake up to find that another soldier has died, we invaded another foreign country or another terrorist act has been committed. I have a few friends from home who are stationed in Iraq and I pray that they will never be listed as US casualties. As bad as it may be, one of the places I would find this out would be through the news. Sure, I would hear it from their families, but I would also see it on CNN. The reason why we should watch the news is to find out about other families who have lost family members in the war so they are not alone in sadness. If it wasn’t for the news, I would never hear about such events that I feel Americans need to be aware of.

Now it is not the fact that people need to be glued to the TV screen to hear the news, but to be caught up. I never cared before about what was going on until the war started. I am not happy about the war by any means, but I am glad now that I can say that I am up-to-date with my current events. I believe it is a must to know what is going on in our society today.