Erin - Appleton, Wisconsin

I believe that music needs to fully capture you to be considered “good.”

While growing up, different genres of music weaved in and out of my life. When I was little, I listened to what others played. I was clueless about lyrics and rhythmic patterns; I wanted to listen to something that made me happy or that made me dance.

Throughout my life I have been introduced to “oldies” and all forms of rock. In grammar school a friend introduced me to country music. My mother thought I would be in that stage forever, but she was wrong. Middle school brought “pop music,” and high school added grunge, punk, and heavy metal.

Then a band came into my life with full force. This band was called A Fire Inside. Never had a band captivated me like this. I could relate to the words, this time not through teenage angst. I felt the lyrical depth and rhythm like never before. It made me feel safe and warm, almost as though I had a fire inside. Since then, I have added a faction of dance music including “synthpop” and industrial.

A voice in childhood once said, “Listen to what truly holds you; listen to what makes you happy.” Most of us lose that little nugget and drift through life listening to whatever is “in.” We forget why we buy albums and mindlessly dance to music at clubs and music venues.

The voice inside reminds me that it is satisfied when I listen to my music. It loves to analyze lyrics, and it loves to disc jockey and dance. It loves to have a good time. But it gets angered when the other little voices are silenced or hiding for whatever reason. It screams out, “What are you if you don’t know music?”