Elizabeth - Springfield, Virginia
Themes: gratitude, love

I believe that “Love is the most important thing in the universe.” I found these words one fall day stamped on the packaging of a used textbook I had ordered online. I don’t know who else believes it, either the former college student or the postal worker, but I am grateful that they were willing to share their belief with a stranger. I cut these words from the packaging I found them on and have read the phrase everyday since I received them. The words help encourage me on difficult days to look at the bigger picture, and on days when everything is going my way; I can smile and easily agree with them.

Now, when I talk about love, I don’t necessarily mean the typical romantic love that first comes to mind when you hear the word. I’m talking about the kind of love you have for the things that you work hard for in life just because you have an interest in them. This type of love requires no encouragement from anyone; just the mere fact you get to do it is enough reward. It could be the love of knowledge, the love of a car or a boat, or for me, the love of the outdoors. One of my favorite things to do in my spare time is to go hiking. I often end up in some strange place found on the least used trails with the steepest climbs just because I want to find the best view. I think that what makes this worth doing is the sense of accomplishment and pride that I get from looking around me and knowing that not many others have been on that beautiful mountain or would bother with the pain to get there. The type of love that I’m talking about here is the kind that encourages us to keep going day after day. It gets us through the times when we don’t want to deal with our problems by simply reminding us that soon enough we will be able to enjoy the things that we love. This knowledge helps me get through difficult times, and I keep these thoughts close to me because this is what I believe.