Jill - Northfield, Minnesota
Themes: nature

I believe in summer as a revival.

It begins as I hear a chorus, in ever increasing decimals, harmonized in a renewing tone. In the sopranos section are the cries of birds in trees at sunrise and children out past sunset. The altos gather strength with the sounds of opening of windows and chatting of neighbors secluded for too many months. The baritones are last to join in with the first low hum of crickets, the babbling croak of frogs and sizzle of bare feet on blacktop.

The promise of green from brown is reveled and the sun illuminates the crannies of the earth with its longer presence. What was once covered in the blanket of winter now tempts me with the freedom of longer days. The time spent in hibernation, the days lost in the confines of heated buildings and cars I now repent.

The summer heightens my awareness and I smell; the scent of budding grass and warm lazy breezes mixed with red-hot charcoal and sunscreen. Simultaneously, my skin becomes flushed from the sun’s endless rays. The stimuli on every inch of my body are activated by the humidity and heaviness of the temperature and the rising bumps left by the pests of dusk. Time outside of the summer setting is monotone. I am a convert to nature and time becomes “but the stream I go fishing in” as my daily existence become unabridged. I find membership in a greater community who share the lakes, mountains and gardens of the season.

Summer is marked on a Minnesota calendar as a fleeting three months. Fall, winter and spring all their own glorious characteristics but summer is a season unlike the rest. The ability to roam practically anywhere with not much more then a raincoat and your own two feet evokes a great sense of self. The days are longer and the roads, trails and uncharted paths are mine to traverse in any direction.

All that said, as a true Minnesotan, I cannot acclimatize to a yearlong summer; and I will also find delight at the first crunch of leaves and the crisp scent of fall. As David Thoreau wrote in Walden, “Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.” This advice is simple and difficult at the same time. But I am up to the challenge; I will be awake in every moment of the summer, from the bright highlights of color in the morning to the nights embellished in a grand connect the dots.

Through my open windows I hear the summer chorus, calling me to the revival. I believe I will answer the call.