Orlando - Cortlandt Manor, New York
Themes: community

Hometown Love

I was fortunate enough to grow up in Cortlandt Manor, New York, more specifically, the Lake Allendale community. I could not imagine growing up anywhere else on this planet and I am grateful my parents decided to move there from the Bronx during my childhood.

I believe in my neighborhood community and the genuine “neighborhood love” that has been embedded in my soul. My neighborhood is comprised of families from all walks of life, of different cultures but we all share traditional values. Summertime BBQ’s and block parties strengthen our bond. Every summer you could count on seeing the entire neighborhood down at the lake playing ball from noon till dusk. We are a community of all races; Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics who sincerely enjoy each other’s company. If you live in “LA” you don’t have neighbors, you have an extended family. We all know each other; our families know each other and share common values. We celebrate our triumphs together and support each other through times of despair.

I believe my neighborhood community has provided me with a solid foundation from which to grow. Lessons that I’ve learned from my experiences on “the block” have taught me how to be a better person. My parents along with other adults in my neighborhood have instilled traditional values in their children such as, honesty, respect, true friendship and loyalty.

I have faith in the bond between myself and my neighborhood crew. No matter where I am and what I am doing; I know I can count on anyone of my “LA crew” to help me out. I know that they all care about my wellbeing and they know that I feel the same way and that is rare in today’s society. Nothing can break this bond, and I am certain it will last throughout our lifetimes.