The Things We Never Say

Sally - Tunnel Hill, Georgia

I believe every girl needs a best friend. I have a saying I came up with a couple of years ago: “Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don’t say.” This describes the friendship I have with my sister, Kelly.

I have had several “best friends” in the last couple of years, but the words “best friend” I always used loosely. It wasn’t until recently that I realized I have had the best best friend in the whole world: my sister.

When I was young, I played with my sister all the time. We played dollies, Legos, house, and anything else we could use our imaginations to play. I remember begging mom to let us sleep together at night so we could play with our Bennie Babies. We would crack jokes about all kinds of stupid things and laugh for hours. Mom would have to send us to our own rooms.

Our relationship has grown into a friendship. Kelly has always been there for me. She makes me laugh and gives me a hug when I am feeling blue. She is always there. When my cat died, she got my mind off it. When I had nothing to do, she let me hang out with her and her friends. To talk to or to goof off with, no matter what it is, she is there. The reason why I believe she will always be my best friend is because she listens to what I don’t say. One weekend my boyfriend was out of town and I was feeling a little down. Kelly knew without me saying anything that I needed that “pick me up.” She knew I needed that hug. At times like those, I realize what a great best friend I have in my sister.

Yes, my sister and I have our moments of disagreement, but we always are held together by those things we never say. Throughout our 18 years together, all our arguments and catfights, we have always been close. My wish is that every girl can have a best friend like the one I have. Every girl needs to confide and talk with a person. Every girl needs to have fun and be herself with a person. For me the person I confide in, talk to, have fun with, and be myself around is my sister. I am lucky to have a best friend like her.

When I broke up with my old boyfriend, I never told anybody. The same day it happened, Kelly walked up to me and said, “Do you want to talk about it?” She knew without a word that something was bothering me when I hid it from everybody else. She knew without me saying a thing that I needed her most.