Jennifer - Raleigh, North Carolina
Themes: nature

I believe in the power of natural beauty. Natural beauty can be found in someone’s home, in someone’s heart, in an urban setting, or simply in the woods. I believe that in order to truly appreciate the beauty of nature, you have to take a step back from your busy life and just be appreciative and in awe of the rawness of what is there. Natural beauty can be in an unfinished form, or can be found in a beautifully polished way. My belief in natural beauty can be tied to our course because many times people make stereotypes against people who do not overdo their appearance.

We were in Beaufort for supper at The Nethouse, but there was a long wait at the restaurant. Instead of waiting inside, we decided to take a stroll around the quaint little town. We looked around at clothing stores, nautical stores, and novelty shops. While walking, I noticed a small alleyway with a wrought iron gate, with green plants looking lush and happy where they were placed, and with clay pots and handcrafted decorations. It was beautiful and I wanted to go in and look at it, but the gate was locked. We walked down a few more feet and came to the door of Tierra Cotta. It was captivating from the time I saw the front door. There were clay pots and knickknacks hanging around the doorframe and window. Hand blown glass gadgets lined the windows on the inside. I knew that this store had something to do with that magical alleyway I had just seen.

The store was not crowded at all because it was close to closing time. We filed in and looked around at all the beautiful, handcrafted things that filled up this small shop. On the way upstairs, I noticed a huge orange fish hanging on the wall. Its sale price was $325!! It was adorable and I would have loved to have had it, but I was about $300 short. Once upstairs, there was a spacious room lined with hanging earth-toned linen clothing, another room full of “modified junk” and antiques, and a lounge room with a beautiful view of Beaufort. I made sure that we went in every room of the store because I was so intrigued that I did not want to miss anything. My sister found a lamp that she liked and my mom stayed in the store to buy it for her.

My sister and I eagerly went through the door to the alleyway. I knew it was going to be one of those moments where you stand and appreciate natural beauty, but nothing like what I actually experienced. As we walked into the alley, the sun was just sinking over the top of one of the buildings we were in between. The alleyway was decorated in a pure, simple, natural beauty approach. Ferns and plants hung everywhere from carefully molded and glazed pots hanging along the walls or sitting on the ground. There were small pebbles on the ground, surrounding ornate and handmade stepping stones. The air was getting cooler as the sun went down. All of this, combined with being at the beach, was so heart warming that it brought me to tears. I knew that this place was powerful, and I recognized my appreciation for simple beauty.