Katrina - Elmont, New York

This I believe, people have the ability to change the world. After reading some of the stories on the National Public Radio (NPR) website, I learned that one person has the ability to make a very big impact on another person’s life and eventually the world.

I believe that getting involved with a specific cause is the best way to attempt to make a difference. For example, Dorothy Day, the founder of Catholic Worker, started small and even though she is no longer here, she is still making a big difference in the world. She created an organization to help the poor working class as well as the people living off of welfare. With the contributions she made, she feed and clothed anyone who showed up to her shelter in New York City. The shelter is still running and it is said to have helped more then one million people.

I believe that one person really can make a difference. I hope to one day be able to do something similar to what Dorothy Day has done for so many people. I believe that a good cause to help would be the fight to find a cure for cancer. Many of us have sponsored walkathons and many other events to raise money to find a cure. Now, we need to make sure that the money is going to good use and will find the cure sooner rather then later. With this cure, millions of lives will be saved daily.