Christine - Glendale, California
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the Latin phrase carpe diem meaning, “to seize the day.” I attempt to live life to the fullest and to enjoy the moment by taking things as they come. I believe in the peaceful essence of a child without a worry in the world. I possessed such a carefree spirit as a child that I wasted it away in trying to grow up too quickly and letting my childhood slip away. I wanted to be free and independent. Now as I look back, these sixteen years have passed by in a blur and that worry-free attitude is now gone. Living in the high-tech, fast-paced world of today’s everyday life, I can see how easy it is to overlook “carpe diem” and lose track of the important things in life. Instead of paying attention to the present, I find myself distracted from the moment and only focused on what will happen tomorrow. The deaths of two beloved family members reminded me to slow down and bear in mind just how precious and short life can be.

Four years ago, my Godmother ended her life early because she had lost the desire to live. One year later, my grandfather passed away due to natural causes at his old age. I remember them both as equally dear and close to my heart; yet, each of their lives took a different unexpected turn. From that experience I came to understand that tomorrow is never promised. At any moment, my life could be snatched away from me and come to an early end. Therefore, I have realized that I must live for the day and not place all hope in an unforeseen future.

When the future seems overwhelming, I remember that it comes only one day at a time. I believe in enjoying the moment’s pleasures without concern for the future. Years from now I want to look back and reminisce how I lived according to “carpe diem”, seizing each day that was presented to me. I do not allow life to pass me by like a speeding bullet train, racing before me in a blur from which I am unable to distinguish the end of one event from the beginning of another. I want to try everything at least once and not look back or have any regrets. I may not be in complete control of my life, but I do have control over my personal attitude towards life. Therefore, it is my choice if I choose to enjoy today and make the most of the present. I wish to take advantage of every opportunity that appears before me and overcome any obstacle that impedes my success. I live to fully appreciate everything that I have before me including the people who have touched my life and have touched my heart.