Practice Until Perfection Is Attained

Nichole - Canandaigua, New York

I believe that practice and determination pave the way to success. Whether it means to learn the game of basketball day by day in practice, or the determination that keeps me on the court, the motives are the same. Each day when I put on my practice gear my mindset is the same; I must practice how I desire to play.

Practicing is more like a performance for me, a fixed set of acts, physical and mental. It is from practice and determination which comes achievement and success; a satisfaction from performing well in practice to performing well in a game.

“Practice means to perform, over and over again in repetitious behaviors facing all obstacles that could come your way.” I believe in practicing hard every day with passion, determination and heart until perfection is attained.

Growing up, it was my destiny to become a basketball player. It seemed to me as though my father coached basketball every day of his life, and I was right there with him in the gym watching him work his magic. Passed down to me was the passion for the game of basketball. I knew from a young age that I had to have the determination to practice in order to succeed. My father always told me “nothing is free.” I took this advice and ran with it, and truly believed that practice makes perfect.

Basketball appears entertaining, fast-paced and exciting. But the path to achieving success is not so simple. There are times exhaustion so powerful will make the body howl, there are times of complete frustration in which the strongest mind will cry out for help, there are times of confusion that will rattle your every thought. All of these obstacles can be avoided through practice. As I practice I store every play, every tendency and every obstacle in my mind giving my body a sense of comfort.

Practice can elevate your game or destroy it depending on your determination and work ethic. For me, practice elevates my game. In practice I shoot at least one hundred free throws a day. Every day it is the same motion: one dribble, elbow in, and fire. From this repetition my mind will never be confused, it is trained from practice to make every single free throw I take.

Constantly, my mind is running through plays and the different barriers that could appear while running them. There is a study and practice of the game in order to strengthen the mental and physical attributes of the body. Through practice and with determination my body is shaped, disciplined, and confident to perform clean, articulate, powerful movements on the court.

I believe practice and determination are the stepping-stones to success. Practicing a certain craft allows the body to be confident and powerful while performing. Basketball is my passion and it is because of practice and determination that I am successful in performing every day on the court.