Ted - Bridgeville, Pennsylvania

I believe in laughter. I believe in telling knock-knock jokes to little kids and funny stories to my roommates. I believe that when we laugh we are truly alive and that laughter is best when shared. Within each good laugh is a five-year-old just checking to make sure we haven’t grown up too much.

I believe in being funny. I realized at a very young age that laughter was a good thing; but making people laugh was even better. When I was little, I would tell silly jokes and do impersonations. I had no idea that I was laying the foundation for years of saying anything for a smile.

Laughter is something shared by people of every age and culture. Little children can laugh with their grandparents and teenagers can laugh with their parents. I believe that people don’t need to laugh at the same things, but we do need to keep on laughing.

In the same way that high school helps people find themselves, I found my true humor style. My friends first began warming up to my slightly sarcastic speaking voice and creative ideas. I laugh at others, and with others, but most importantly, I laugh at myself. When my best friend didn’t make the golf team, I made a sarcastic and self-deprecating “self-help brochure” about how failure was a normal part of life. After all, I hadn’t made the team in each of the three seasons I tried out; probably because I was always laughing at my shots.

In college, I discovered Photoshop. It’s a wonderful computer program that allowed me to put my friends and I in all sorts of hilarious scenarios. There’s just something about seeing my face on Saddam Hussein that made people smile.

My goal, in almost every conversation, is to say something that makes the other person laugh. I try to laugh every day, as early and often as possible. I believe that a good laugh can make a bad day good and a good day better. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but I truly believe that laughing is the very best medicine.

Laughter is why the chicken crossed the road. This I believe.