Shannon - Crystal Lake, Illinois

I believe in loyalty. You can be loyal to many things, but I believe in loyalty to your friends. There are so many situations in life that you do not want or need your family, you need your friends. Loyal friends are there for you when you need them, and you are there for them when they need you. If you are having a crisis, they will drop everything, if they can, to come help you. They will drive two hours, one hour in a horrible storm, to come get you when you need to come home. And if you are a loyal friend, you will reciprocate. My experiences with some of my closest friends have helped me develop my strong belief in loyalty.

Some people have a hard time with the transition to college. I didn’t have a really hard time, but it was somewhat difficult. I’ve always gotten homesick when I’m gone for an extended period of time. There have been times since I’ve been here that I’ve gotten very homesick, and just wanted to go home. Usually my Mom can come pick me up, but recently she couldn’t. It was a Thursday, and I was really irritated with people on my floor. My Mom couldn’t come get me, and I was so upset I could barely stand it. I called my friend Ashley to complain about it, and her response was “Pack your things, I’m coming to get you.” I live about an hour away from my school, so I never expected anyone but my family to pick me up. And to top it all off, there was a major storm coming. I tried to stop her, saying that I could wait until tomorrow for my Mom to come get me, but she insisted. On the way home, the skies grew more and more menacing looking. Right as we were coming into town, the sky opened up and it started pouring, and hailing. It was a horrible storm. Ashley could barely see out the front windshield. But that didn’t matter to her, all she cared about was that I was upset and needed to come home.

I always try to do everything I can for my friends, because I know most of them would do the same for me. My best friend and I have an unspoken agreement that if at all possible, we will do whatever we can to help the other. For example, back in February her and her boyfriend of over two years broke up. I got the call not from her, but her ex boyfriend. Luckily, I was at Illinois State University visiting my brother, and it was 45 minutes away from her school, University of Illinois. I wasn’t able to drive out there that night, but the next day I woke up early and drove down to her school to hang out with her. I was originally supposed to pick up a different friend in Naperville, but my plans changed, because they had to. My best friend needed me, and I did what I had to do to be there for her. So the two-hour drive to Naperville from ISU turned into a three and a half hour drive from U of I. I didn’t mind though, because my best friend is more important than any of my other friends.

What do I believe in? I believe in loyalty to your friends. Whenever you stumble and fall, your friends are right by your side to lift you back up. If there is ever a situation you can’t handle alone, your friends are handling it alongside you. There are some things in life that I know can’t do without. And friends are one of them. If there is no loyalty between friends, can the friendship really exist? I don’t think so, that’s why loyalty is such a strong held belief for me.