Kyle - Mesquite, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

The Apple Tree

Written by Brittany Lacy

The apple patiently chosen from a tree is golden and juicy, but when picked too soon, the apple is dry and immature. I run around in life trying to finish everything in record time. I choose the automated teller machine over walking inside the bank, and receiving a friendly smile. Like most girls, I grew up too fast. Because my older sister by six years appeared happy, I did everything in my power to be exactly like her, thinking I would be happy as well. The makeup, the shaving, the maturity; it all started too soon. The camera in my mind did not have enough time to flash before I would move up to the next stage in my life, leaving all the pictures blurred.

My personality and body were no longer in tact; I was left lonely and confused. The train taking me where I belong left the station before I could arrive. Running around like a lost puppy I finally realized that I had taken life as a race, and won first place. My prize was not a blue ribbon, my prize was indeed a chance to start over, slower than the first time.

I take my life one day at a time, taking pictures and savoring every moment I have. I remember every time my nephew, my angel, smiles. I see him running around, and I remember. I remember every moment spent with my best friend. These memories are kept in a small box placed next to my heart, where they will stay until the day I reach happiness. I will remove the box and place it open in my arms where I can see every memory. I will not rush, I will take my time to make all the memories I can by filling the box to its very fullest, because I believe happiness is worth waiting for.

Rushing causes mistakes, and those mistakes are most difficult to fix. Every one wants happiness as fast as they can get it, but what is happiness without the memories? When attempted to reach too soon, happiness can easily collide with disaster. Happiness will be achieved after much savoring, and memories. Happiness is worth waiting for. Take your time; take the slow ride of life. When driving in the fast lane, avoid collision by pulling over, taking a breath and starting up again, much slower. When retired from working at life, those who took their time to take a picture, and let the camera flash, retire into happiness. Not happy because of relaxation, but happy for all the memories they posses, and for the chance to say, “I remember when…”