Michael - Mesquite, Texas

Okay, remember the kid who was teased in grade school. He was the one who got teased for being too fat, or too skinny, or for being the nerd, with the taped glasses. His boy we’re dealing with is, let’s say a little on the chubby side, and he’s got the pimply face, hovering over the ant mound with a magnifying glass, burning the feelers and legs off of the ants. Now, there really is nor reason for harming the ants. They have done nothing, except for maybe biting you when you got too close. But think about it. If you saw somebody waling up your driveway with a crowbar, and a magnifying glass, wouldn’t you go out there and confront him, maybe bite him? What if he wasn’t coming to your house? What if he was just passing by? You wouldn’t know, so you confront him anyways. That’s the way it is with the ants. They can’t do anything to hurt the fat little boy; save for biting him, they can’t do anything at all. They never did anything at all. Some creatures feel the need to defend themselves. When you get close to them, they bite, or sting in this case.

Much like the kid with the pimply face. He gets teased for being fat, when he has done nothing wrong to anybody. Yet the “cool” kids make fun of him day in, and day out, and he may turn out to be an all right guy, or he may turn out to be a vicious psychotic killer with a hit list. The point is, is that he can’t defend himself from the bullies and other children in school; so the only thing he can hurt is the ants. But, then who takes the time to actually stop and think about the possibilities. I know that’s something I don’t do most of the time. But, then I try to think of what could happen if I did this, or that. But, I do believe that hurting fire ants is bad. Directly, or indirectly, hurting those who haven’t the strength or will to fight back just for fun, goes against all the laws of nature.

So please remember, next time you see someone who is hurting someone who cannot fight back, please say something. You might just end up saving a life.