Cameron - Mesquite, Texas
Themes: equality

Equality

“Live long and prosper” “To boldly go” or “boldly going” (depending on your English teacher) “where no man has gone before” and “The good of the many outweigh the good of the few” are just a couple of the memorable quotations from the greatest cult/pop icon in American history. I’ve loved it for six of its 40-year legacy. What I refer to, what I believe in, is Star Trek.

When Star Trek debuted in 1966, its message was one of equality, and that message carried on through its three-year run and the four spin-offs. The message of Star Trek is easily summed up by Fry from the show Futurama, “Because it… it taught me so much. Like, how you should accept people, whether they be black, white, Klingon or even female.” And I believe that Star Trek’s message is still needed today. With gay rights issues and immigration legislation and Hurricane Katrina misunderstandings, this nation apparently has many equality concerns. And I believe that if everyone watched Star Trek, everyone would be nice to each other. Ah… not really, unfortunately. I think most would mock it or insult its “poor” special effects. But even with today’s extraordinary CG graphics, Star Trek’s message remains.

My father was a policeman. I stress the “was.” He was killed in the line of duty in August of 2000. It was after his death that I got into Star Trek. I know you are thinking, “Where is this going, man?”, but hang on. Everyday he would talk about the different groups of people he had to interact with on the streets, and he wouldn’t exactly have the greatest things to say about them. They were mostly things of a “slur” nature. But he wasn’t being racist; it was just a general frustration with a certain group. Look, I’m making excuses for his attitude. (But to be honest, when someone is trying to kill you or whatever, being politically correct tends to fly out the window) And that is what we do: we make excuses or sweep it under the rug, or we ignore it.

So after his death, my aunt introduced me to Star Trek and that is when I saw its message of equality. Then my two eyes did see that even with Women’s Suffrage rallies and the Civil Rights Movement of the 50’s and 60’s and whatnot, we are still a nation of “Rights for the Majority with the Biggest Mouth.” and I just wish that people, like my dad, could see that we really are all just human, and all humans (or Klingons) are entitled to equality.