Derek - State College, Pennsylvania
Themes: love

This I Believe. It took me a long time to figure out what it is I actually do believe. It was hard for me to find a concrete idea and describe it on paper. One night, however, I realized one of my beliefs and I realized that it was not always a describable idea. I believe that there exists someone in the world for anyone with whom you can feel something that can only be described as utter and pure love.

Everyone has their own interpretation of love and what it means to be in love. I think that it takes being in love to truly understand the meaning of the word. I also think that the right person to experience this with is out there; it’s just a matter of finding them.

This idea struck me one night as I was sitting in bed, watching TV with my significant other. She was staring at the TV, lost in Law and Order: SVU (as is custom), when I turned my eyes to her. As I sat there watching her, a cascade of emotion washed over me and I realized that I truly did love her.

It was something we’d said many times, but that I hadn’t really comprehended until that moment; I love her. In that moment, I relived all of the moments we’d had together and all of the different emotions I’d felt. I thought of how I always smiled and was happy when I saw of, how I always felt at peace when she was around, and how I always had this feeling of loss and emptiness when we weren’t together. And in that moment, I felt lucky to be with her.

The phrase “soul-mate” is often used to describe someone with whom you share such feelings. Not to be cliché, but I think that is exactly what she is, my soul-mate. And I think if I can find this person, then everyone else can to and should strive to find them. I once asked a married friend of mine how to tell if you’re in love, and he responded by saying that if I had to ask that question, I wasn’t in love. I know this to be the truth now and believe that everyone should and will have the opportunity to feel love with their soul-mate.