Lele - Pflugerville, Texas
Themes: Christianity

Where Is God In Our Schools?

The topic of prayer and God in today’s schools has been greatly controversial. It has been a subject that has affected citizens of all ages nationwide for centuries but not as much as it has in the past four decades. The debate about prayer in schools was first sparked in 1962 in the Supreme Court case where Justice Hugo Black ruled in favor of those against the fight for prayer, saying that it was unconstitutional showing his separatist view of the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause. The fuse was lit and the fight to bring prayer back to schools begun. The Supreme Court received numerous appeals ranging through the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, and even the ’90s. The more the Christians would persist, the more their oppressors would shut them down. When one evaluates all the facts surrounding the entire state of the average Christian’s right to pray in school, it is not as bad as it would be without the first amendment. Students are allowed to say grace at lunch and privately read their Bible as long as they are not school sponsored. Some schools have even appointed the rule that school property and school grounds are meant solely for the purpose of education ambiguously hinting that the sharing of the Word (the Bible) and praying is not the furthering or advancement of ones education not only affective in the areas of school but the world. The argument of the placement of God in schools has been broken up into four parts, two divisions on each side of the disagreement. The first group of the Christians petition for school sponsored prayers where school wide prayers are said over the intercom, while others just fight to gain equality to voice the Christian rights. The first part of the non-Christians state that they do not want any type of prayer or religion in schools saying that it is a violation of how parents raise their children and how schools are run, while the other part merely rallies to keep the ‘intercom-announced’ prayer from taking place winning defense with non-praying students. The decline of the state of today’s students is proof enough that prayer is once again needed to be brought back to schools. If not by such drastic measures as by use of intercom, then by some other method must this liberty be given back to those who above all believe they have lost it, the students. If the United States of America was founded on such great basics as God and the pureness of the Bible, then what negative impact could it have on the present generation? Constitutional rights were taken away from the students when it was decided for them if they wanted to pray in school or not. For those who did want to pray, their right to voluntary prayer was restricted. Prayer should be brought back to schools, even with such hard measures as gaining the school support. The beneficial influence given to the children would help to better shape the vivid future of the Nation. If intercom prayer is asked for by the general public, the voice of the students should be heard for it is their life that the court system and the other groups try to control. If the world would give the Christians a chance instead of naming them bigots for their realization of one true way to God through His one and only son Jesus Christ, then maybe then would the pains of the world caused by its children begin to cease. We should give the choice of prayer or no prayer to the children. We should let them decide what they want to do.