Ashlee - Cottage Grove, Minnesota

Homosexuality has been around longer than the days of Socrates, who was believed to have had amorous relationships with his people of his own gender, but only recently in the past few centuries or so it has been brought up as a topic of controversy in the media. So what exactly is the big fuss about? Being raised a conservative Catholic in Minnesota, I have found myself mulling the idea over in my head and torn between believing in my heart what is right and what my religion says on the issue. Number 2360 in the Catholic Catechism states: “Sexuality is ordered to the conjugal love of man and woman. In marriage the physical intimacy of the spouses becomes a sign and pledge of spiritual communion. Marriage bonds between baptized persons are sanctified by the sacrament.” Although the Catechism of the Catholic Church is against the idea of gay marriages and engaging in romantic activity, I truly believe that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Maybe it’s the times that are changing that’s making this generation of young people so much more open to the idea of homosexuality. My parents, as well as my grandparents for certain, are uncomfortable and don’t approve of people who are not straight. I think it’s because my family knew no one homosexual, bisexual, or transgender when they were growing up, whereas I have had friends who are homosexual since high school. I do not think people “choose” to be homosexual (one could then argue the opposite of that as well; people “choose” to be heterosexual) because I can’t imagine anyone wanting to be beaten and discriminated against because of their sexual orientation.

So why should these individuals be punished for what is in their hearts and physiologies? How often have we laughed at a derogatory joke on Saturday Night Live targeted toward homosexuals, or furrowed our brows at the two girls walking down the street hand in hand? I guess I don’t understand why the issue of gay marriage is causing such an uproar when we’ve got celebrities wearing scandalous clothing to the Oscars and famous sports stars like Kobe Bryant getting lawsuits filed against him for statutory rape. Bottom line: I believe homosexuals should be able to express their love freely and partake in gay marriages. They are human beings that deserve to be treated with dignity and equality.