Jonathan - Hudsonville, Michigan
Themes: Christianity

I believe in the God that has revealed Himself to us in the Holy Scriptures. Scripture says that God is the Creator, Sustainer, and Ruler of all things, and I must obey Him. God has commanded that I must love Him with my whole heart, mind, soul and strength and love my neighbor as myself. I know that I am a sinner and cannot and do not want to do this. By nature I want to love and serve only myself.

His law guides everything that I do, or at least it should. If I am writing computer code, mowing the yard, changing my son’s diaper, or spending time with my wife, the Lord must be my guide. I try, but often I let my own desires take precedence over what God wants me to do.

God is just, and His justice demands that this rebellion be punished. God is also merciful, and since I can never be made right with God on my own, He sent Christ to die on the cross to be punished for the sins of His people so that I can be justified with God.

Scripture also tells me that Christ Jesus suffered God’s wrath in hell so that I don’t have to. I believe that when Jesus comes again to judge the heavens and the earth that I will be seen as holy only because I have been washed from my sins by His blood. When that glorious day comes Jesus will take me to be with Him in heaven where I will be free from all my sin and be able to serve Him perfectly for all eternity.

Scripture tells me that I am not a child of God because of any worth or value in me or because of anything I have done, but because God chose me to be His child. He chose me only out of love and pity. In that love He has worked in me new life so that I can begin, in an imperfect way, to walk in the way He has commanded.

Scripture reveals that I must repent from my sins and that God will forgive them. I must let God’s law guide me in every aspect of my life, and everything I do must be done to His name’s honor and glory. I do not do good works because it will earn me anything; I do this out of thankfulness to God for his love and mercy.

I am so thankful for the love that he has shown me that I want to tell everyone about Christ and His work for me. I want everyone to know how great and marvelous God is. I want everyone to hear about His might, His holiness, His justice, His love and His mercy.

All praise and honor and glory be to the God that has revealed Himself in the holy Scriptures.