Zandra - Canyon Country, California

I believe that I will never stop learning; I say this not because I have been going to school non-stop for the past year and half but because I truly feel that in order to grow both emotionally and intellectually I must keep my mind open to the wonders of life.

I am reminded of the words of Walt Disney, “Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.” I believe that I, much like Disneyland will continue to grow and learn as long as I possess imagination and the willingness to learn.

Learning means much more to me than gaining knowledge through the written word, it means learning from those around me every day, not just instructors and classmates, but from everyone that touches my life throughout each day of my life.

For example, from my grandchildren, I have learned unconditional love, while I love own children more than life itself, the love I have for my grandchildren is so much different. With your children, you expect them to be the smartest kids around, the most well behaved, the most loving, but with your grandchildren all those requirements go right out the window. You expect absolutely nothing in return, you just love them, and this is what I mean by truly learning unconditional love.

From my daughter I have learned courage and the strength to survive. My daughter has gone through many challenges in her life and she has managed to overcome them all. She has emerged a beautiful woman, with a beautiful mind and spirit and on top of all that she is a wonderful mother too! From my son I have learned patience and compassion, his loving quiet ways never fail to inspire me.

From my husband I have learned the art of giving from the heart, he works with boys that life has forgotten, boys with drug and alcohol problems, whose own parents have forgotten about. My husband truly cares about these boys and is truly happy when he is able to reach even just one of them.

I move through each day with the wonder of life before me, wondering what life challenges will teach me today. I am never disappointed, if I keep my eyes and heart open, I am sure to learn something new each day. I learn from my co-workers, husband, children, grandchildren, family and friends and sometimes I even learn from a stranger on the street.

I feel that I am unfinished canvas, yet to become what I am meant to be. Maybe, when I reach the ripe old age of 107, I will feel that I have learned all there is to learn….here on earth.