Michael - Bentonville, Arkansas
Themes: gratitude

I believe in Saturday. At the end of a long week, a day of rest is absolutely necessary to recuperate, to replenish my energies and prepare for the week to come. Saturdays have always been special to me. Ever since I first began going to school, Saturdays developed into an integral role in my life.

This day was often the pinnacle of my week, when I was freed from the stress of school. Saturday meant fun. It meant playing baseball, soccer, or football in the park with my friends. It was also a regular occurrence for my family to go to the nearest movie theater on Saturday to catch the latest comedy. Gradually, as I grew up, my Saturday routine changed. I used to do more on Saturday with my family, before I started driving myself around. This is ironic because I learned to drive on Saturdays. My dad and I would go out tooling around in our truck, traveling to towns in the country.

On Saturday, I feel as though the day is long and I might actually accomplish something. This is rarely the case, however. Mostly, I simply sit and watch television and rest. But the hope is still there, that I might catch up on the insurmountable number of tasks or chores I have let pile up throughout the week. I pick at the tasks one by one and pretend I am trying, but I take it easy and let the day drift by.

Saturdays always seem to be sunnier. Even a rainy Saturday is not dreary. This is simply the power that the day holds. Saturday burns brighter and longer than the rest of the of the days of the week. This is probably due to the fact that there are no scheduled events or appointments to keep. All homework and business no longer exists on Saturday. It disappears from the mind completely. Saturday is a day for my family to spend time together and catch up. It is also a day to pursue hobbies. I personally enjoy sitting down and drawing for hours, whereas my father loves to go riding on his motorcycle.

I can’t wait until Saturday comes back again. I truly believe that Saturday is a weekly, worldwide holiday. It is a vacation that occurs every seven days. Without it, I think often times I would hardly make it through the week.