Aniekan - Yonkers, New York

In this I believe

Like most people I wonder, why am I here? Why am I interested in certain things and infatuated with others? Why do I reject one person and lust after another? Why I am so sure I am going to enjoy a career in the major of which I have chosen, and what will make my life interesting or worthwhile to anyone but myself. Although, I had asked myself these questions before, I began pondering these questions again more recently after 2004.

2004 was the year Troy came out. Troy is the Gladiator type movie with Brad Pit. Brad Pitt’s character was the legendary Greek warrior Achilles. When he wasn’t half naked or killing people, his character sparked some interesting thoughts. In the story, Achilles a legendary warrior was sought after by the Greek forces who planed to sack the city of Troy. Like most big brave men, he runs off to his mother, and asks her what she thinks he should do. His mother happens to be a sea goddess according to legend and can see into the future. She tells Achilles that if he stays out of the war he will have a loving family full of kids and grand children, but will not be remembered after his bloodline dies out. However, if he fights in Troy he will die young, and will also be remembered forever and Aniekan Udo will mention him in his ‘In This I believe’ speech. Achilles obviously chooses the later, goes off to fight and dies.

Even before the credits start to roll, my friends and I started talking about the movie. First about all the cool action scenes and then about the choice Achilles had to make, and what we would have done. Before I knew it the conversation got heated and circled love, faith, religion, pride and masculinity. I learned a lot about myself from little interactions like that.

I believe in discussions and probing sometimes even the simple or the mundane to reveal information that is stored within us. It is important to me that I am surrounded by people who like to discuss things like this and speak their mind on different subjects. Not to be heard or to have the right answer, but rather to share in thought and help develop themselves and others intellectually. Having these kinds of discussions helps me become open to different ideas, types of music, cultures, and approaches to problem solving.

Although I don’t have the answers to most of the questions I ask myself on a daily basis, I can honestly say I know myself a lot better than I did when the movie Troy came out. I believe that intelligent discussion we lead the way to understanding and that I am well on my way.