Matthew - renton, Washington

I believe in being a man for others. I am young, 28, and have been working with children for about 6 years. I didn’t graduate from college expecting to teach, quite the contrary. I was a Bachelor of Business Administration, with honors, and stepped right into the world of banking and commerce. It didn’t take me long to discover for myself what my coworker–Janet, I think, was her name — had warned, “You’re young, do something good with your life.” After just 6 months in the field of banking, I abandoned what I had spent the previous 4 years studying. I wanted to do something that made me feel good, and the thing that does that best for me–for all of us, I believe–is to help others.

When I was in high school–an all-boys jesuit school in Washingotn DC–our school motto was “men for others.” While I’ve grown apart from the beliefs of the church, I have always held our common belief in this simple motto. Being a man for others means being available for people that need me. It means being open and honest. It means being accepting. It means that I will sacrafice so that others can suffice. But what it really all comes down to is that everyday, I walk out the door knowing that today, I can make someone’s life a little better than it was yesterday, and–funny enough–I always walk back in the door a little better, too.