Shanekwa - Clayton, North Carolina
Themes: Christianity

I Believe in God

I believe in God. The Alfa and Omaga, the author and finisher of my faith. Growing up as a little girl, I always wanted my dad to be a father to me. I wanted to experiences what it is like to be daddy’s little girl. I really thought that I was missing out on something big. For 23 years I have asked God what I did wrong.

One day after having a long conversation with a lady full of wisdom, my grandmother, I was enlightened. She expressed to me that God is the answer to your problems. I didn’t fully understand at the time, but as I developed a close relationship with God by praying everyday, fasting, reading and studying the Bible, I found him to be a present help in the time of trouble (Bible: Psalms 30). Before I could shake the no good daddy syndrome, I had to first accept my biological dad for who he was. Then I had to forgive him for not being there for me. It was too late to be my father all the important things that he was suppose to be there for were now history. Once I made peace with it, God eased my heart from all the years of hurt. Now I can talk to him without getting into arguments about why he was not a father to me. The Bible states that “I will make your enemies your foot stool”; meaning that when people do you wrong they will get it back in the long run. That is just what God did. Now my dad sees how grown up and mature I am and how much I have accomplished without him. He tells me that he regrets not being there and I tell him that it’s ok because with the help of God and my mother I can now forgive you.

My faith in God is my personal belief, but I was also able to connect it with some of the things I have learned in my core 100 class. My religion is what keeps me doing when I feel like giving up. In class I found out that some people use what is called civil religion, a set of myths, rituals, symbols, to justify actions, laws and policies in the united stated weather it is good or bad.

As I look back over my life I can truly say that I’m blessed. God has kept me : I’m 26 with no children, completed two associated degrees, and I’m finishing up my 3rd a bachelors in social work. God was there along with my mom, at every play, dance, and graduation. I said all that to say that when your friends and family forsake you, God is always there to comfort you. You’re never alone. I believe in God.

“When your mother and/or father forsake you than the Lord will take you up”

Psalms 91