Matthew - Partridge, Kansas

I believe in the importance of books. With a good book, you feel like you are actually walking alongside the characters. Authors of good books use vivid descriptions of the characters and the places. When writing, they use their imagination to create a whole new world. I am always disappointed when I have to interrupt my reading to come back to the real world of washing dishes and helping my dad with the cows.

My parents read to me from the time I was born. There’s something magical about a good book being read aloud that draws the little children into the parent’s lap (or in the case of our family, jumping up and down on my Dad’s back). My mother grew up in Switzerland and often reads to my little brother and sister in German. Our family has a tradition of reading special stories at Christmas about different customs. Everyone in my family treasures reading.

Books encourage imagination while television discourages it. Many kids my age get all their information from television and computers. Television creates the pictures for you instead of allowing you to create them in your own mind. Books teach reading skills and television definitely does not.

If you are not able to read you cannot accomplish much in life. There are programs on computers to help teach reading, but they just practice skills and don’t give you the magic of reading a story. Computers also have a lot of unnecessary advertising and sometimes get viruses. Books are better for your eyes. You can’t take a computer and curl up in a tree.

Books can help people in many ways. My favorite genre is fantasy stories like Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. These books led me to dream of other worlds and other times. I enjoy mysteries like Sherlock Holmes and The Hardy Boys. Life on a farm can be routine and repetitious, but books like these provide adventure during an otherwise ho hum day. Many books are written to help people face their problems. They help people cope with death, divorce, illness, or a new baby. Books can inspire, thrill, comfort, and instruct.

Books help make boring days exciting. I can return to my favorite books whenever I want. My time reading books is precious to me. I believe in books.