Emily - Huntersville, North Carolina
Themes: integrity, work

I’ve always believed that it is important to do my best in everything that I do. This core belief effects my decisions and actions at school, work, and in relationships. Doing one’s best in school, work and relationships yields varied rewards. Some rewards are tangible such as raises in salaries, bonuses, academic honors and scholarship awards for hard work in school, but other rewards are intangible. These rewards are felt in one’s very soul.

During the past two summers, I have worked part time as a cashier for a local Harris Teeter supermarket. There it is important to do my best because other people are counting on me and my performance directly affects other individuals. My attitude at the register greatly influences the experience that a customer may have and directly impact their likelihood to return at a later date. A poor attitude at work may cause the customer to leave in a bad mood, report me to the corporate office, or even go so far as to stop shopping in our store. It’s important for me to be accurate in the work that I do on the register because my employer is trusting that the balance accurate. Doing my best on my job has brought about rewards which sometime include recognition, a promotion, or a pay raise.

Doing my best is important at Meredith. The most recognizable form of success in scholarly work is one’s GPA. GPA’s are used to determine awards, scholarships, and invitations to induction into various honor societies. Students that demonstrate excellence in their academic pursuits are also often awarded special opportunities such as the best internships and study abroad, and are recruited for highly esteemed employment opportunities. Throughout my academic career, I have had to work diligently and sometimes with greater effort because of my learning difference. Many times in high school I was advised against trying to take a more difficult class because the guidance counselor did not think I could do the work. Perseverance and doing my best work paid off as I achieved an admirable grade, but more importantly, my confidence about myself and my abilities increased. I believe that having confidence in oneself promotes others to have confidence in you. Doing my very best in my school work and achieving success provides me an intrinsic reward that is priceless.

Rewards in relationships are not normally tangible more psychological. I believe it is important to do my best and be my best self in relationships as this communicates to the other person how much they are valued and cared for. Strong friendships promote feelings of security, love, and happiness. These benefits yield a positive sense of well being that promote good physical and mental health. I have learned that when I fail to do my best in relationships someone always gets hurt. Sometimes the other person is hurt or disappointed because of thoughtless word spoken or careless gesture. Other times the consequence affects me. Doing my best in my relationships is the most difficult area to act with excellence because it is less predictable and more variable. People are in constant flux with their emotions, physical well being, and the stresses of ever changing life circumstances. Despite the challenge, I believe that doing my best in relationships is the one area that yields the greatest and longest lasting rewards. My relationship with God is an example of a relationship that has many intrinsic and eternal rewards.

Working towards excellence will always be something important to me and will be with me through out my whole life. As my life unfolds I’m sure that new areas will presents themselves, and I will approach them with the same integrity that I have so far in my schoolwork, my job, and in relationships.