Christopher - Northfield, Ohio

You never realize how much you will miss someone until they are no longer with you. As a child, I was told this many times. Back then, I did not realize how true this was. When I was younger, my sister and I would argue and fight all the time. We had a sibling rivalry, just like almost everybody else with a brother or sister. I did not believe that I could ever miss my sister back then, but my beliefs have developed greatly since that time.

As the years went by, my sister and I started arguing less and less, and we also started to grow closer and closer to each other. Eventually, we would play games with each other and help each other out with our problems. Whenever I had a horrible day at school, she would comfort me and help me forget about all the small problems I had. She helped give me the courage to go back to school the next day, and not worry about the problems of the day before. She has helped me out a lot, and I have also done whatever I could do help her as well. One day, she came home with tears in her eyes. She ran straight to her room and cried into her pillow. When I asked her what was wrong, she told me that her boyfriend had dumped her. I told her that it wasn’t the end of the world, and that everything would be better.

We began to develop a bond that was much greater than that between friends. We weren’t simply friends; we were brother and sister. Over time, we became very close to each other. A few weeks before I wrote this essay, my sister told me that she was joining the Air Force. This meant that she would be leaving soon, and that I might not see her again for a long time. I did not realize how much I would miss her until the day she finally left to be trained. It hasn’t been a very long time since she left, but I already miss her terribly. It turns out that the quote I began this essay with was true. I never thought that I could miss my sister this much, but now that she is no longer living with me, I miss her greatly. I believe that people do not realize how much they care about a person until that person is no longer with them.