Hannah - Raleigh, North Carolina
Themes: death

I believe that the death penalty is the easy way out for many criminals. People who commit crimes worthy of life sentences or execution should be punished in the most severe way. Although death seems like a harsh punishment to many, I believe it is giving many criminals want they want. A sentence of death allows the criminal to feel overcome with emotions of being tough and well known. For example, San Quentin State Prison is known for housing some of the nations most dangerous but famous criminals, such as Scott Peterson. It seems as though a criminal is almost being commended for committing a crime. I also believe that the death penalty is a sense of relief for a convicted felon. Many would much rather be put to death than live their life behind bars. There are many things that occur in the general population of prisons that death row inmates are excluded from. They are housed in a different section of the prison and live in a cell by themselves. Although they are not allowed the same luxuries as other prisoners, such as television, they are not exposed to violence. Inmates serving sentences in general prison population must earn respect of others and live in fear of being beaten, raped, killed, or becoming a gang member. However, death row inmates do not live in fear of their lives. Typically the family members of victims are unaware of how sheltered death row inmates are. They desire to see their family member’s murderer die. I believe a man or woman who commits a heinous crime should be punished and given a life sentence, forcing them to see their family grow up outside of bars without them. If someone feels tough enough to commit murder or some other kind of a heartless crime, they should feel tough enough to serve a life sentence. If one does not consider their family while they are committing a crime, they should be forced to watch their child grow up without them. Prisoners should be punished, not executed.