Crystal - Mt. Airy, North Carolina

I believe in the power of friendship. Friendships come in all shapes and sizes; some are expected and some are not; some you search for, and some find you. No matter the case, friendships happen and they are truly a gift in life.

I have many friends, but one of my most recent found me by pure chance. His name is Chance, and he wandered into my life almost two years ago one cool July morning. The sun was still sleeping, and yet my family were awake stuffing the car for a weekend trip. In the midst of our packing and cramming things into the back of the SUV, my younger sister heard a rustle nearby. Upon turning around, we were greeted by the most gorgeous beaming brown eyes, framed by long, dark, floppy ears below a happy tail pounding on the side of the building. The adorable puppy couldn’t have been more than a few weeks old when he stumbled into our lives, but he has truly made an impact!

One of the many things that I love about dogs is their unyielding ability to forgive. Chance looks forward to his evening walk each night, but if it is raining or I am too busy to walk him, he is no less excited when next I see him. He likes to play, loves attention, and absolutely adores people. That is the kind of friend that I want to be.

Reliability and honesty are two very important characteristics that I value in friends. I hope to be a friend on whom others can rely for an honest opinion and on whom others can depend when they find themselves in sticky situations. I want to be a picture of stability yet also able to ask for help when I need it.

I once saw a bumper sticker that read “friends are the chocolate chips in the cookie of life” and thought about the truth in that statement. Friends break up life’s monotony with a little something sweet. Friends can be counted on for long talks over coffee, taking care of a sick one, and offering that open ear and firm supporting shoulder.

Life, as I have found it really is a “game of give and take” where one must rely on his friends for support as well as be ready for when the time comes to return the favor. I can not imagine life without my friends. May we all be blessed with the cold wet nose, or the sweet chocolate chips that are our friends.