Andrew - Colorado Springs, Colorado
Themes: family, setbacks

I believe in a strong family relationship. A relationship strong enough that it holds up in the hardships of life. I have not always lived in Colorado Springs; I was born in Manhattan, Kansas. After my second grade year my family and I moved to Herington, Kansas because my father found a better paying job. The middle of my eight-grade year my we had to move yet again. This time it was to a small town in western Kansas called WaKeeney, Kansas. Because my dad found a job that paid a lot better then the one he currently had.

Of all the times that my family and I have moved has not broken us apart yet. So, I finished my eight-grade year in WaKeeney, and went through most of high school at Trego Community High School. Half way through my sophomore year the unexpected happened. My older brother, Jimmy, was almost killed in a car accident. His accident took place on February 22 at 8:45 p.m. around 11 p.m. my parents came downstairs and asked if I knew where Jimmy was. I told them exactly what he told me, “That he going to meet one of his friends friend” because his girlfriend had just dumped him. Jimmy was supposed to be home at 9 p.m. that night. After I told my parents what he told me, they went out looking for him and I stayed up just incase he was to come home. Altogether my parents and I got one hour of sleep between the three of us. Jimmy was found about 4 a.m. the next morning. He had flipped his car, which landed about 30 feet from the roadside.

Well he was rushed to the E.R. about 4:30 a.m. My parents were about 65-70 miles away when they found out. My dad sped up to 110 mph. to get to my brother faster. When he reached the county line he called Eagle Med (the emergency air crew) from his vehicle. Jimmy was air lifted to Wesley Med. Center two hours later and my mom flew with him in the airplane. My dad and my two younger brothers plus I drove down to Wesley. It took us about two and a half to three hours to reach the medical center. My brother was in a comma for four months. The first four weeks (seemed like hell for all of us) my parents kept my two younger brothers and I out of school to be at Jimmy’s side. He finally woke up after four months.

That didn’t break us apart. Today we live in Colorado Springs and grandpa lives with us. Jimmy is still recovering from his accident. That is why I believe in a strong family relationship.