Robert - Spring Lake, New Jersey
Themes: golden rule

I believe in helping others and that whatever abilities I have should be used for the good of mankind. I believe it is important to give to the community because there are others who need assistance in their lives. I have been very fortunate in life and think it is a responsibility of all citizens of a community to help others. I also believe in helping others because if you do not help others who will be there to help you? This belief in helping others is much like the concept of Karma; I fundamentally believe that “what goes around comes around”. In Christianity this belief is taught as the golden rule known as “do unto others as they would do on to you”. I believe that helping others has made me a more responsible and compassionate person.

It is the belief in helping others that sent hundreds of police and firemen into the world trade towers, even though they knew it was not a safe place to go into. It is the belief of helping others that sends thousands of the United States military into battle every day. All the people in the military and policemen and the firemen do there jobs because they are trying to help other people. They are trying to help people out of a building or down stair ways or even out of a village that is going to be bombed in a few hours. It is these people who put other people lives first and there lives second that I try to base my life on. I strive every day to be more like them.

This belief of helping others comes naturally to me. I believe this is because both of my parents and their parents were involved in the community and worked for the Federal and State governments. Also both of my grandfathers served in the military and my grandmothers are involved in Church activities and they have instilled a strong sense of volunteerism and community service in their families, and have been great role models. An example of this would be how my grandfather adopted my aunt. While he was over in the Korean war he found a little girl in an orphanage and he wrote a letter home to his soon to be wife and said that he was bringing her home. This is only one type of act that I try to live up to in my life.

For the past few years I have been on the Fire department and for all of those years I have done everything in my power to help other people. I have been woken up at 3 am to go and walk through neck high water to help people get out of there house during the flood. I have been called at all hours of the day to go and check peoples houses for carbon monoxide. I have been called to go to other towns to help them put out fires that have gotten too big for one town to take care of.

I will continue to help others because no matter what, I know that there a people out there who do not have as much as me and there are people who are in need of help. One day I can only hope that when I am in need that some one will help me in the same way that I have tried to help people.