John - Austin, Texas
Themes: question

This I Believe Portfolio Piece

When trying to describe the current state of our world only one adjective really sticks out in my mind: unbalanced. I say that our world is unbalanced because despite the complexities of modern civilization and the arguments men use them as evidence for, it is clear to any decently informed man that we are not where we are supposed to be. What I mean by this is that when God or whichever form of a higher power you choose to believe in laid out the plan for earth, I’m pretty sure he or she didn’t have in mind the sort of activities we as a race have engaged in. However, as far off of the straight and narrow as our world may be I still think the universe hasn’t given up on us. That is why my core beliefs are based on the fact that as messed up as our world may be, it is still constantly trying to right itself. I believe that in more than just a physical sense, every action does have an equal and opposite reaction and it is these reactions that keep us from complete anarchy. I believe the world wants us to be at peace and that everything we do to disrupt the peace no matter how little, is given back to us as a negative. The idea is similar to that of karma in that good deeds done by you are in turn done unto you and vice versa. It’s like the world rewards you for not messing with its peace and it punishes you for the opposite. A small example would be two kids competing with one another on the jungle gym, seeing which one of them could make it further on the monkey bars. If one kid went and didn’t make it very far the other kid might tease him but in turn might fall and get hurt on his turn. Essentially I believe that every one gets there come-upents, but the good kind too. Maybe I believe this because I have to. Because I’ve been wronged too many times in my life and if I can’t know they’ll be payback I’ll have nothing. But I like to think I believe this because I have hope for the world, that eventually all will right itself and be as God or Buddha or Allah planned. But who knows, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.