Josie - Austin, Texas

Music is the Key to Life

Living my brief life of seventeen, eighteen right now, and disregarding all my other trite beliefs of goodness and golden rules, I concluded that I believe that music is the key to life. . .

Orchestral pieces, incomprehensible rap music, and even the singing voice of a mute, only begins to describe the various forms music comes in. Music surrounds our everyday lives enhancing our feelings and emotions through what we hear, see, and feel.

As we live, breathe, and struggle through life not knowing exactly how we started or how we will end, we live in the sounds of music. Music, in various forms, expresses the different, yet similar, forms of ideas, opinions, and emotions we have, which enables us to connect or diverge with what we hear or feel such as the beat of our hearts, which every living being feels. Without music, we are vegetables, lethargic creatures, with no beat and no emotions only increasing our uncertain feelings of not knowing in the vast land of life. . .

Smashing a guitar from anger, clicking your heels on the hard pavement, or even listening to the gentle wind and raindrops caress your face during a violent storm portrays how music is more than a form, but also an expression. Music is for the oblivious things many do in life; many swings their legs under the desk, rhythmically breathe while giving birth, or dance for no reason at all as if dancing for the first time. Regardless if we are deaf or hindered physically or emotionally, music is for all, just as life is for us all to live.

Music is everything in life, not just a form or an expression; music can be the beats inside our heads during class when we desperately crave the tranquil feelings of sleep or the droning tone of the teachers’ voice heckling us to stay awake. Music is not only voices or sounds, but also what we feel, such as the annoying thump at the back of your chair coming from the irritating yet absentminded person kicking it. Suspended, utterly and completely, is what we are without music, allowing movement and feelings to blow away like arid sand castles blowing away with the tranquil yet intense wind.

Music allows creations for escape from the world. With fear and anger or with excitement and happiness, many turn music tremendously loud that their surroundings disappear (or the police come to their doors suggesting them to turn the music down); however, nothing else seems to matter at that moment of time. Music does not need to be a concrete presence because pure silence is also a form of music, just like the absence of color, white is also a color. Oh, the irony, although many surround us, we can be so utterly alone. . .

Everyday, every second, and every moment, we live through music. People walk through the halls with iPods and MP3 players to avoid the teachers who strip innocent bystander of shoelaces in order to prevent gangs, we zone out at the unexpected moments when there is a song, thought, or idea in our head, and we even lay our heads down to sleep during the mindless droning of teaching.

Music leads our lives whether it is our footsteps or the emotions evoked. With all my uncertainties and doubts, I definitely know that in life, I cannot live without music.