I Believe in Frogs

Marie Celeste - Kigali, other Rwanda

One quiet night, I looked out the window and heard frogs shouting. My day had been horrible once again: I had to see people make a bad decision without anyone questioning it because they were popular. After a day like that, I just couldn’t stand hearing frogs scream in my ears, and I just wondered […]

One quiet night, I looked out the window and heard frogs shouting. My day had been horrible once again: I had to see people make a bad decision without anyone questioning it because they were popular. After a day like that, I just couldn’t stand hearing frogs scream in my ears, and I just wondered how such ugly animals could be that noisy. While listening to them, I realized these ugly frogs were a lot like me: unable to fit with the more “popular crowd” of animals. However, they didn’t keep quiet and saddened about it; they screamed and made the maximum noise they could, as usual. Their blemishes didn’t keep them from being themselves. From then on, frogs have become my personal role models.

Many times I have gone home tired and angry because every time I looked at myself straight in the mirror, I was just disgusted by what I saw: a broken person with nothing special to notice. I saw someone not beautiful, not intelligent, not fit, someone who simply wasn’t meant to be. Every time I was in public, the first thing that came to my mind was, why can’t I be like the others around me? Why can’t I be intelligent? Why can’t I be appreciated? Why am I the way I am? What am I not her?

I can’t count the number of times in my life that I have stopped doing what I liked to do simply because it was not proper, accepted, or valued by others. I can’t even count the number of times that I have been discouraged just by advice from friends or others I confided in. “No, Celeste, a person in a church choir can’t obviously dance in a crew: that’s an outrage. No, Celeste you can’t challenge them, you will get in trouble.” Well, I have learned that no one should ever dictate what I have to do or how I have to feel about myself.

We are all different. We are not even the same as our parents whom we should resemble the most. And frankly, those differences are what make our lives beautiful. Yes, a blue sky is beautiful but it doesn’t reach the beauty of a rainbow. This is because the rainbow is a mixture of different colors that would usually not match. Isn’t Lady Gaga more famous than Adele? That’s because Lady Gaga brings variety that Adele could not bring even with her wonderful voice.

In life, I have to accept and love myself without minding how society classifies me. Just like a frog, I am intelligent, beautiful and interesting and that’s because, and not despite, of my blemishes. I don’t need to conform to society’s version of perfection to be happy. I’m a happy little person. I’m happy little frog. I believe in the power of self-acceptance and self-love. I believe in frogs.